Norwich: 01603 616300

Do I Have to Pay UK Tax on Foreign Income?

December 2019

We get asked this question a lot. So often in fact that we decided it’s a subject worth covering in a blog. In most cases, there is a simple answer to this question. If you are not a UK resident, you won’t need to pay tax in the UK. If you are a UK resident, you will indeed have to pay tax on your foreign income. However, you may not have to if your permanent home is abroad.

Photo of Calculator Surrounded by Foreign Currency

How does HMRC define a UK resident?

According to the website;

You’re automatically a resident if either:

You’re automatically a non-resident if either:

Which types of foreign income might you need to pay tax on?

You may need to pay UK Income Tax on foreign income, such as:

Foreign income is classed as anything from outside England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Everyone’s situation is different though and if you are still unsure as to where you stand, we recommend you get in touch. In some cases, the answer isn’t so obvious.

If you are taxed in more than one country, you may be able to claim tax relief – something we can help you with.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign up for our news and business insight newsletter

No spam. No waffle. Just useful, practical and valuable news and insight, straight to your inbox. We always protect your personal data.

Aston Shaw Twitter Logo

We act as a representative, allowing smaller employers to pool together to take advantage of the Kickstart Scheme. Find out more on our website 👉…

Last week from Aston Shaw's Twitter via Twitter Web App

Client Login

Secure Document Exchange Login

To request access to use the Client Login feature, please email:


You have Successfully Subscribed!

Secure Document Exchange Login

Please email or call your Client Manager directly to be set up with access or if you have lost your login credentials.


You have Successfully Subscribed!